Monday, November 1, 2010

Blog Post #11



I would definitely like to incorporate the use of blogs in my classroom. In this video, one of the students said that he received a comment from his sister and his mother. I like the idea of using the blog as a way for the parents to get involved. My students could use the blog as a sort of journal. My students could write about what we studied in class, what they've learned so far, and share their feelings about my class and the materials. Blogs are also a great way for students to stay in touch with me and each other. They could write on other students' blogs and set up study sessions and if they have any questions about homework assignments, they could always leave a comment for me.

Blogs are also great for peer reviews. I could let my students comment on other students' blogs weekly. They can comment on any mistakes they see in grammar and sentence structure. This type of feedback will hopefully help my students realize their mistakes and work on correcting their grammar and expanding their vocabulary. Students could also let the others know how well they're doing in the class. Of course, there will always be one student who wants to leave negative comments, but to prevent this I will make sure my students understand the rules of blogging. One of Ms. Cassidy's students tells us the number one rule of blogging, "Never say something bad cause you could hurt someone's feelings." I will make sure my students understand and abide by this rule.

It is clear from the video of her students that all of Ms. Cassidy's techniques work. Her students are very intelligent! They know how to use technology in ways I did not learn until my 3rd year of college (in EDM 310). Earlier this week, the question was raised about how to prepare your students for a future you cannot predict. I think Ms. Cassidy is preparing her students for our future. She may not know what it will be like, but her students will be equipped with the necessary knowledge to succeed.

2 comments:

  1. Talisa,

    This is my favorite response of the day. You did such a good job at analyzing what Mrs. Cassidy is doing in her classroom and how you could make it work for you!

    Great JOB!!! Their is an article about peer review that I have been looking forward to reading, "The Silenced Dialogue: Power and Pedagogy in Educating Other People's Children". If you are interested, you might google it! A fellow tweeter told me about it.

    Anthony

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mrs Swain
    Thank you for your comment on our blog. We hope that you do incorporate the use of blogs in your classroom because most of us are only 5 and we have learnt so much from having a blog. We write comments to each other, communicate with schools all over the world and now have a purpose for a lot of what we do in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete