Friday, November 12, 2010

Form Results

Textbook Survey Summary

I distributed a form to 20 of my classmates regarding the amount of money they spend on textbooks at South Alabama. I also asked my participants where they purchase their textbooks, the average amount they've spent on books since they've been at South, and if they sell their textbooks back to the bookstore. From this survey, I was able to gather a lot of information on the amount of money the average student spends on books. Since 85% of the participants were either Juniors or Seniors and 89% of them are full time students, I think it is safe to say that this survey gave me even more information about the average amount of money spent on books for full time students who've been at South Alabama for 3+ years.

The majority of the students (95%) who responded to my survey said that they buy their textbooks brand new every semester, spending anywhere from $200-$500. Out of the 20 responses from this survey, 16 students said they purchase their books from the USA Bookstore. 89% of the students who purchase new textbooks sell them back for approximately 26-50% of the price.

This survey also helped me determine which subjects students spend the most and least amount of money for on textbooks. I suspected that science would have been the most expensive book these students have purchased and that the social science courses would be the least expensive. 68% of the participants said that science books were the most expensive. I was correct with guessing the most expensive, however, the survey determined that the social sciences where not the least expensive books. The least expensive books are English books, with History running a close second.

No comments:

Post a Comment