Monday, October 4, 2010

Blog Post #6

The Networked Student by Wendy Drexler



Connectivism seems great! It teaches organizational skills and it also allows students to "teach" themselves. When I was younger, anytime I asked my mom a question, she would always say "Go look it up." I absolutely hated that response! But everything I've ever looked up and had to find on my own, I've never forgotten it. Connectivism seems to work the exact same way. Let the students find the information they need. The teacher should just be the guide.

A 7th Grader's Personal Learning Environment



Before I watched this video, I never thought about what my PLE was like. I never even thought I had one! But after seeing the example of this student's PLE, I realized that mines is slightly similar. I have almost every website needed for EDM 310 saved to my favorites. At the beginning of the semester, I familiarized myself with the different websites and their uses. That way, when the time comes to use these sites, I will not be confused. The only major difference I noticed between my PLE and this student's PLE was that she seemed better organized than I am. I don't check the websites daily. I check them often though. I'm slightly jealous of all the students we've been watching lately. They're so much more prepared than I was at their age (and at my current age as well).

The Machine Is Changing Us



This was the exact message I sent my friend about this video: "OMG! He's out of his mind! A 33 minute video?!" Again, I judged before I even watched the video. Apparently, I have not learned as much as I've thought. I apologize for my behavior.

The speaker in this video was amazing! He was entertaining and very informative. He also caused me to think about a lot of the changes that have recently been made in my life because of technology. "We shape our tools and thereafter our tools shape us." This quote describes us so well! We create a machine as a convenience to some and eventually, we make it a necessity for all to learn. We have these brilliant ideas and once we've worked out all the kinks, they become our lives. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. It's just an eye opener.

1 comment:

  1. The Networked Student is a good example of the way the role of the teacher is changing. Yes, like you said the teacher should be a guide. In fact, its like Dr. Strange says the teacher is more of a coach. The teacher's role is more about being supportive, giving advice and guidance. The student is more in control of his or her own learning. A good example is the student who showed her personal learning environment. Now she's in control. SS

    ReplyDelete